Whichever DIY secondary glazing system you choose, fit the double glazing as close as possible to your window for best heat insulation ( a gap of 3/4″ (2cm) is ideal ). If your main concern is noise reduction fit it further away ( up to 6″ (15cm)
for best results ).
Selecting Your Kits
With all the systems you need a height kit and a width kit to complete a two-pane installation. Height kits contain all the vertical sections for the double glazing. Width kits contain all the horizontal sections. All kits include fitted draught-proofing seals and step-by-step instructions together with accessories and fitting aids such as screws and wallplugs. Having measured the height and width of your window recess simply select the nearest longer size.
Selecting Your Materials
The kits do not include glazing material which you should obtain seperately from your stockist or glazier. Fit the double glazing tracks first then take glass measurements from them. The uPVC kits are designed to take either 2mm or 4mm glazing material.
4mm glass usually gives the best result but if your window is close to the floor or exposed to impact, for safety reasons we recommend acrylic sheet or similar material instead of glass. Acrylic is widely available in 4mm thickness. On the horizontal sliding system 2mm acrylic can also be used in conjuntion with a 2mm glazing kit. However, 2mm thickness acrylic is not recommended for use on the vertical sliding systems. Please observe the maximum sizes for each single pane given under each system heading. If in doubt please contact your stockist or glazier who will be happy to advise.
- Measure the height and width of your window recess.
- For 2 sliding panes choose 1 height kit and 1 width kit to the nearest longer side.
- For 3 or more sliding panes select 1 Multi-Pane kit for each additional pane.
- The Height kits contain accessories and step-by-step instructions
- Select your glazing material after you have installed the outer tracks and taken precise measurements from them. Each single frame should not exceed 20 sq.ft ( 1.86 sq m)
uPVC – Materials
- Recess fixing allows the air gap to be varied for heat or sound insulation.
- Strong uPVC sections pre-drilled for easy fixing.
- Concealed cuts for neat finish.
- Maintenance free white uPVC.
- Effective white seals all round.
Aluminium – Materials
- Easy recess fixing
- Low friction PTFE slides and pvc insert for easy sliding.
- Rigid integral handle.
- Accepts 2mm, 3mm and 4mm glazing material.
- Interlocking glass carriers for rigidity.
- Attractive side track design hides cut edges.